Here is my radio interview with Susan Knight of Calgary’s up!97.7 FM this week:
Want to show heart-felt love for Valentine’s Day without spending a lot of dough? Here is an idea: Inside your Valentine’s Day card, write down one reason you love your spouse for each year you have been together. If you haven’t been together for a year yet, perhaps you can write one for each month you have been dating OR write down what you hope for your lives together next year.
This year, my card is going to be public.
To Eric, my husband of 14 years:
- I love that you know me well enough not to have a conversation until I have had my first cup of coffee. You have amazing patience when I am not my best self, and for that I am deeply grateful.
- I love the way my heart still flutters when you give me “that” look. Yeah. You know the one.
- I love how you parent our daughter. She is growing up to be confident, articulate, witty, poised, courageous, beautiful and well-loved because of you. (I don’t think that she will ever get married because all the other guys will pale in comparison to her dad. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it.)
- I love that you are pursuing your dreams in life. I am so excited to see you begin your post-graduate degree, continue to build your dream team at work, and fulfill the other hopes and dreams we have spent hours talking about.
- I love that you support me as I pursue my dreams. I would not have finished my book, had the courage to teach about sex or stuck it out in the lean years had it not been for you.
- I love the way you kiss. You really are a phenomenal kisser. That was one of the first things I liked about you, and it hasn’t grown stale over the years.
- I love the fact that you always put family above everything else in life (even as you are doing #4). You take Riley to school every morning even though you show up a bit late to work because you know that these years are too precious to squander. When I am spiraling into “task mode,” you remind me what is really important in life and help me refocus.
- I love the way you tell stories. Your skill set in this area has truly reached master level. If I can be as half as good as you by the time I die, I will die satisfied.
- I love the fact that you know when to shut up and just hold me. I had to teach you how to do this in our first year of marriage, but now you recognize when I need it faster than I do.
- I love that we can have our own friends and activities apart from one another, but also share so much together. You know how to walk the balance of not having too much of one or the other.
- I love that you cook. After all these years, after all these meals, you still love puttering around in the kitchen and demanding that we eat while the food is hot. I cannot count the number of times I have finished long before you even sat down…just the way you want it.
- I love the fact that there is always some guy in your life who you are mentoring. You love to pour into the people around you, especially the guys who remind you of your younger self.
- I love that when we are fighting, your sense of humor brings “levity” to the moment and reminds us both what is important – not to get a win, but to work together as a team.
- I love that we are still writing our story together. It has been a great romance, drama and adventure, and it has me hooked to find out what will come next.
Happy Valentine’s Day, Lover. You are my world!